Chamonix is one of the oldest ski resorts in France. The charming bustling town is set under the shadow of Mont Blanc, Europe’s highest mountain. It has arguably one of the best freeride terrains in Europe. The town is surrounded by dramatic peaks and buzzing with a sense of adventure for those thrill-seeking experts searching for the ultimate challenge. The vast piste and off-piste areas, including the legendary 20km Vallée Blanche glacier run, boasts spectacular scenery and a vast range of slopes that cater for all levels of skier. The town square itself is completely pedestrianised and has an extensive variety of shops to explore during the après-ski hours. As well as the mountains, Chamonix is also known for its lively cosmopolitan après-ski scene and its choice of superb Michelin starred restaurants.
Resort Height: 1042m
Skiing Elevation: 1042m – 3275m
Top Lift: 3275m
Vertical Drop: 2233m
- Take the cable car up Mont Blanc for unforgettable views
- Hire a private guide to explore the best terrain including the 22km Valley Blanche run.
- Visit the statue of the young hunter and collector of crystals Jacques Balmat showing de Saussure the way up Mont Blanc
- Try Parapenting on a clear sunny day
- Go to the open air market on Saturday morning
- Have a delicious meal at the Michelin starred metropolitan-chic Le Bistrot restaurant
- Resort height: 1035m-3840m
- Piste Summary: Green: 14%, Blue: 34%, Red: 38%, Black: 14%
- Ski Pass Rate: 241€ for 6 days
What we love
- Incredible off piste skiing
- Valley Blanche – You don’t need to be an amazing skier
- Great nightlife and bars
- Perfect weekend spot due to short transfer
- “Guaranteed Snow” resort.
- Better value than the other high brow resorts
- Good for families
What needs improving
- The resort is split into three areas so you have to pick your area each day
- You need a guide to ski the very extensive off piste
Regional flights from any major UK airport will fly you into Geneva or Lyon (Approx. 1hr 30min road transfer) Helicopter transfers are also available from Geneva and the flight is approximately 20min. Please note that helicopters are weather permitting.